Home Newborn Session Guide
Welcoming a new family member is can be both the most magical time of your life but also the slowburn of overwhelming! Trying to make the best choices for your new human while surviving the life schedual is a balancing act.
Newborn Photography is the best way to capture this time with your baby and to capture them exactly as they are now, little feet, hairy backs, curved noses and I alway believe every photo will be all worth remembering.
The sleepy, peaceful babies shown in newborn photography and what we all aim for a calm baby and a at ease mum enjoying this time. I have created this guide to help both help destress the unknown of proffeional photography for you but also create a smooth, calm session.
[gahyd] a book that gives you the most important information about a particularsubject:
Halou Session Guides aim to reduce some of the anxiety that photoshoots can induce. If you have any questions that haven't been answered you have my email and number to text.
- What to Expect
- How to Prepare
- What to Wear
- Frequently Asked Questions
Each Session has a session specific note Home; Studio; Location
What to Expect
All Sessions we will be in contact from the baby is born. I will wait to hear from you initially. If I don't I will assume we are a go for the tentative date we have set. I will still text you the morning of to see how everyone tracked that night and if the session is still a go. - I have ramped but my bookings this year and as I do account for longer and shorter unexpected pregnancies or hospital stays. However I do have a limit on my schedule shuffling abilities
When I arrive we will chat about any other goals you had for the session that we didn't discuss. I encourage pinterest boards or images you love to be shown. I want to create as much variety as possible. Dont feel like you cant try out things you want or have suggestions. All feedback is good feedback. At any point if you feel uncomfortable with anything let me know and we will problem solve till you feel comfortable this is your session!! I will show you things I love along the way or things that are working.
I do have a work flow I like to follow for each session however I love trying new creative ideas! You session is personalised to you to tell your story and that is the ultimate goal of each session
I will always shoot baby first so if you haven't had a chance to be 100% ready that's ok you have time to Shower (if your at home) or prep yourself (In Studio)
I will have a look around your house when I arrive to find little pockets of light. I sometimes suggest clients notice their homes "best time of light" where is the sun leaking in creating soft shadows? Depending on where your house faces, what surrounds it and what kind of windows you have will determine how much light leaks through. I do bring lighting but a window with a curtain can be amazing!
My First Heads up is the studio will be heated intensely to keep your little one warm, which means for someone who can regulate their body temperature it can get hot! I suggest to dress in layers so that you can remove some if you get too warm.
The light is 90% artificial in the studio which helps create consistent lighting. I will have outfit, wrap and look slayed out when you arrive to see which vibes with you the most. I will also have the Halou Client Wardrobe that has a collection of Mum, Toddler and Baby outfits If you are hating your wardrobe that day.
This is recommend for a older newborn so the traditional posing maybe harder to achieve on location but it does create magic moments. We will meet at are predetermined meet spot and adventure from there.
We will run through a work flow to maximise the amount of images but also reduce exposure of baby.
2.How to Prepare
- If your baby has slept solidly for 3 hours prior to your session, we may spend a long time trying to get your baby to sleep and some posed shots will be harder to achieve without distressing bubba too much.
- If you can, in the morning of your session, try to keep your baby awake for 2-3 hours by giving them a bath, interacting with them, and feeding just before you leave your home or on arrival at my studio. Obviously, this may all go out of the window, as these things are always easier said than done! But this little bit of prep really can make a difference to your session, especially if the baby nice and sleepy.
- Please dress baby in a simple loose sleeper that doesn't have to be lifted off over the head, just in case baby is sleeping soundly on arrival. No tight socks or vests to avoid lines on their skin.
- If you are using or considering using a dummy, please bring it along. It can be a huge lifesaver when the baby continuously wants to feed/suckle for comfort. Sometimes it really is the difference between getting that short or not! A dummy can help to avoid contact with mummy while we are in the “rhythm” of a session. Baby can smell mum and hear her voice and this triggers their instinct to feed. It can be quite a distraction for a little newborn. Using a bottle or a dummy for a couple of minutes can help to maintain the fluidity of the session and helps the baby settle easier. However always remember its your baby if you feel distressed or uncomfortable at any point you can hold your baby and comfort them. I purposely time sessions to give you time to enjoy the expereince.
Bathe and Feed
- Stay with me on this but giving a bath to baby leading up to the session can help clean all those sleep boogers and soften the amazing baby skin but it will keep your bubba awake and tire them out. There is a lot of new senses to feel and that beautiful eye connecting and chatting moment you can have can set you in the bond zone.. You want this to be a real connecting bath if possible take your time as to tire them out. If you a holding off from bathing baby and keeping that beautiful birthing skin also completely fine! Your baby your story!
- We would be grateful if you could feel your baby a FULL feeding when you arrive at the schedule your baby’s day accordingly for this. A full tummy equals a sleepy baby! - If you are studying try dressing and packing before feeding baby so it’s the last thing you do before heading to the studio!
A full baby means a sleepy baby, and we need a very sleepy & calm baby in order to achieve the sweet, flexible poses you see in my portfolio. If the baby is awake when you arrive, it is best to undress them first, loosen the nappy and then wrap them in a blanket before feeding. I may ask you to ignore a strict feeding schedule and a "no rocking or shhhhh" rule for the 3-4 hours at the session! The only way we will achieve calm, curly poses is if your baby is happy, full and sleeping deeply.
Skin on Skin Photography
I am a big fan of skin-on-skin portraits with you holding your baby against you. They're so timeless. So if you want some natural portraits like this with your newborn and you dont want to get naked. Consider a strapless top or vest, alternately I could wrap you in a scarf with a stretchy material I have available. These can come for some very tender images and don't have to be shared on any social media or media presence if you dont want it too.
I really have no notes about home sessions other than the normal above. Try to have some pockets tidied. I can't actually edit out clutter or clothes. I in no way expect a whole clean house but having a couch or the babies sleeping space clear makes for easier flow.
The Studio has a sent of stairs leading into it so if you have a stroller your welcome to bring it however we will have to take baby out to get up them.
Heres a little checklist.
- Nappies and wipes
- Parent and siblings outfits
- Dummy or Soothing items
- Baby go home outfit
- A baby blanket or Heirloom items
- Anthing to make you comfortable (ipad, books, nursing pillow, sleepers). I will provide cold and hot drinks and random snacks.
What to wear
I suggest mum, dad grandma, siblings; family in general being involved. To keep everything beautiful timeless and "photogenic" keep the clothing simple. Find a colour Palette and build off it. Clearly I love a earth tone or white colour palette but I have seen families pull off Gorman level colours, Stevie nicks/ rocker black looks and navy's. You keep true to yourself. Personally, I think plain tops with neutral colours work best, For Dad. To keep your beautiful skin bright and facial features the main focus avoid busy patterns & large logos where possible. I suggest a comfortable dress or flowy outfit to create something a bit special.
I want to stress that if a sibling what's to shine with who they are and its not "cohesive with the family "look" let their flag fly! They are being 100% themselves and that's how we should all feel we can be. It shows their personality and you will still get amazing imagery. I always have other sized children clothes and we can always sway them to pick something that may suit the "aesthetic" while keeping them loving the session and having a great core memory of having photos taken!
Can I feed or hold my baby if your working?
Absolutely! That child is yours and you should never feel uncomfortabel. Please know that I do not mind waiting for you to nurse or for nappy changes, or just taking a break to soothe your baby at any point. You and your baby's wellbeing is more important to me than getting a shot. If you are bottle-feeding your baby, please bring along more than you think you'll need!
What if baby poops?
When doing the poses where the baby is undressed, it is normal (and okay) for baby to poo or wee on my backdrop...or anywhere else. I can assure you this happens all the time, and I am not upset or offended. I have wipes on hand always. I launder all of my backdrops and other items the baby comes in to contact with. An extra set of clothes for the parents is a good idea, just in case. Someone always gets wee'd or pooped on, its usually me, but sometimes you!
Can I bring my other children?
YES YES YES they are part if the family aswell.
Newborn sessions generally take 2-4 hours, so older siblings can get bored! I have some toys and entertainment but I recommend bringing extra favourite snacks or toys your older children love.
Also no more than yourself, your spouse/partner and children is recommend in the studio . Lots of people in the studio make for somewhat challenging creative conditions and it’s tight in our cozy LITTLE space!
How are you insuring hygiene?
I wash every item I use at the end of every session in a sensitive washing powder and a sanitiser liquid so not to irritate skin but also to ensure hygiene.
I also insure i wash my hands regularly and after entering your home. Also don’t fret about baby pooping or peeing on items. It happens thus the washing system.
Extra measures have been taken due to covid. In studio, Hand-wash and Hand Sanitiser must be used upon entering.
I am yet to earn a sign in covid check in however I have a manual sign in sheet and have limited studio sessions.
I will send you a email with a gallery link within 48 hours with you "preview images" they are yours to download however they will have a watermark on them.
After a maximum 6 weeks you will receive your entire curated gallery. This can sometimes be 100 plus photos. You then have 2 weeks to pick your alloted amount, once you select them and download them through the gallery service. It can walk you through it and your delivery email will have a code to use at checkout to zero out the cost of your total amount.
If you wish to purchase more images or the entire gallery that can be done through that same online gallery
Prints can also be purchased at this time. However you are also welcome to use a printing service you deem fit. I will advise that kmart big w all those bad boys do not colour correct images and do not last physically as long as A our professional printers images do,
I Look Forward to Meeting you if we haven't alreadyI love meeting new squishy's its the best part of the job!